30 April 2007

What love is

Heidi's pastor recently preached on love. Not the romantic kind, but the love of Christ and what it means to followers of Christ.
  • Love is a verb. Love is not love without action.
  • Jesus' examples of love were action packed -- healing, preaching and teaching.
  • If God is love, then God, too, is always in action.
Yesterday my pastor shared similar words in his sermon. Although I've heard them thousands of times, they really hit me.
  • For God so loved the world -- the world, not a particular group, people that we like, etc. If God so loved the world, God loves creation and all people even if we find them or their actions to be despicable.
There's a bumper sticker that I love: "God bless the world. No exceptions."

1 comment:

Humble Pie said...

One of the (many) unfortunate realities of the English Language is that we took several definitions of "Love" and turned them into a single concept.

We can "love" passionately - as with a sexual partner. Eros.

We can "love" approvingly or in a craving way - as with a good peach. Philia.

We can "love" Christlike - sacrificially and NON exclusively. Agape.

In the Western world I think we have lumped all of these concepts into a single element of Love that is a twisted version of Philia. We have become a Culture that believes that "Love" requires a satisfaction of self.

I "Love" this orange because it tastes good. If it doesn't - I no longer love it. I "Love" this person because he/she makes me feel good. When he/she doesn't - I no longer love them. I "love" these people because they make me feel good. When they no longer do - I don't love them.

This way - I can discount ENTIRE groups of people that don't make me feel good (IE People that disagree with my politics/relgion/philosophy, etc)

As such - my love is absolutely exclusive.

This is in ABSOLUTE contradiction to the Agape love that Christ preached and lived.